Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program
- Ph.D. in International Nutrition with minor in Demography and Developmental Sociology. Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y.
- M.S. in International Nutrition. Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y.
- B.Sc. in Human Nutrition and Science. M.S.University Baroda, India.
- NFSC 470: Community Nutrition
- NFSC 315: Nutrition through the Life Cycle
Research Interest: diabetes/obesity in minority populations Research Actitivites: Evaluation of Program Impact
- A Community Based Program of Diabetes Education Clases para Diabeticos Latinos: Educacion y Clases de Cocina
- Prevention of Childhood Obesity in High Risk Minority Populations
- Food system/food security assessment of Baltimore City using Geographic Information System Software (ARCVIEW), Census 2000 demographic data and ethnography
- Leadership to the Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program (including Needs Assessment, Training of Paraprofessionals, Curriculum Development, Marketing, Evaluation, Reporting to USDA and interagency collaboration) (funding by USDA, University of Maryland Cooperative Extension and Maryland counties).
- Community-based Prevention of Childhood Obesity
- Food Systems Assessment of Baltimore City
- Introduction of Community Based Diabetes Education for the reduction of race (and ethnic) based disparities in Maryland (funded by USDA, Food Stamp Nutrition Education Program, Spanish Catholic Center, University of Maryland Cooperative Extension Award.
- Training and implementation of a Program in Baltimore City Public Schools Eat Well and Keep Moving to integrate physical activity and nutrition into the 4th and 5th grade curriculum of Baltimore City Public Schools (funded by USDAs Food Stamp Nutrition Education Program).
Representative Publications/Presentations at Professional Meetings:
- Matthew H, Mehta M. 2003. Using GIS software to map poverty, food insecurity and access to assistance programs in Baltimore City. Annual Meeting of Society for Nutrition Education.
- Mehta M, Miiller D, Goldsholl L, Thorn J. 2003. Clases Para Diabeticos Latinos as a Case Study of Community Based Diabetes Education for Minorities. Priester Conference, Phoenix, AZ.
- Miiller D, Mehta M. 2000. An Evaluation of Clases para Diabeticos Latinos – Educacion y Clases de Cocina. Annual Meeting of Society for Nutrition Education. Manuscript in preparation for Journal of Nutrition Education.
- Miiller D, Mehta M,Goldsholl L. 2000. Diabetes Education for Uninsured Minority Populations in Maryland. Priester Health Conference, Boulder, CO.
- Female Infanticide, Female Neglect and Gender Differentials in Malnutrition, paper presented ‘Conference on Environment, Culture and Food Equity, Pennsylvania State University.
- Sex Differentials in Morbidity and Mortality – An Indian Case Study presented at International Conference on Hunger, Population and Development at the California State University, Long Beach, CA.
- American Dietetic Association
- International Women in Development
- Society for Nutrition Education
Membership on State Advisory Boards:
- Member State Advisory Board, WIC
- (Special Supplemental Program for Women, Infants and Children,
Member, Governor's Coalition on Hunger