- Relationship between diet, lifestyle factors, nutritional status and health outcomes, especially in older adults
- Study of determinants and impact of food and nutrition security on populations in the US, Middle East and Sub-Saharan Africa
- Ph.D. in Nutritional Sciences. Tufts University, Medford, MA.
- M.S. in Nutrition. University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA.
- B.S. in Biology. University of Massachusetts, Boston, MA.
- Registered Dietitian.
Principal Academic Responsibilities:
- NFSC 470: Community Nutrition
- NFCS 678E: Nutrition and Aging
- NFSC 680: Nutritional Assessment
Research Interests: Research interests focus on assessing the nutritional status of the older adult population and on using epidemiological methods to study the relationship between nutrition risk factors and health status of this population. Presentations:
- Poster Presentation at Showcasing Gerontology Scholarship Conference at the University of Maryland, College Park, MD. April, 2004.
* Acrobat Reader is required to view this file
- Sahyoun NR, Jacques PF, Zhang XL, Juan W, McKeown N. Whole grain intake is inversely associated with metabolic syndrome and mortality among older adults. Am J Clin Nutr 83:124-31, 2006.
- Sahyoun NR, Serdula MK, Zhang XL. Barriers to the consumption of fruits and vegetables among older adults. J Nutr Elderly 24(4):5-21, 2005.
- Sahyoun NS, Anderson AL, Kanaya AM, Koh-Banerjee P, Kritchevsky SB, de Rekeneire N, Tylavsky FA, Schwartz AV, Lee JS, Harris TB. Dietary glycemic load and predictors of type 2 diabetes in older adults. Am J Clin Nutr 82:547-52, 2005.
- Smith KM, Sahyoun NR. Fish consumption: Recommendations versus advisories, can they be reconciled? Nutr Rev 63 (2): 39-46, 2005.
- Sahyoun NS, Zhang XL. Dietary quality and social contact among a nationally representative sample of the older adult population in the United States J Nutr Health Aging 9(3): 177-83, 2005.
- Sahyoun NR, Anderson AL, Pratt C. 2004. Evaluation of nutrition education interventions for older adults: A proposed framework. J Am Dietet Association. 104:58-69.
- Sahyoun NR, Lin C, Krall E. 2003. The nutritional status of the older adult is associated with dentition status. J Am Dietet Assoc. 103:61-66.
- Looker AC, Dawson-Hughes B, Calvo MS, Gunter EW, Sahyoun NR. 2002. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D status of U.S. adolescents and adults. Bone. 30:771-7.
- Sahyoun NR, Hochberg MC, Helmick CG, Harris T, Pamuk ER. 1999. Body weight, weight change and incidence of self-reported physician-diagnosed arthritis among women. Am J Publ Health. 89:391-4.
- Sahyoun NR, Jacques PF, Dallal G, Russell RM. 1997. Nutrition Screening Initiative Checklist may be a better awareness/educational tool than a screening one. J Am Dietet Assoc. 97:760-4.
- Sahyoun NR, Jacques PF, Dallal G, Russell RM. 1996. Use of albumin as a predictor of mortality in community-dwelling and institutionalized elderly populations. J Clin Epidemiol. 40:981-88.
- Sahyoun NR, Jacques PF, Russell RM. 1996. Carotenoids, vitamins C and E and mortality in an elderly population. Am J Epidemiol. 144:501-11.
- American Society for Nutritional Sciences
- American Society for Clinical Nutrition
- American Dietetic Association