- Ph.D. in International Nutrition. Cornell University.
- M.Sc. in Nutritional Sciences. University of Dar es Salaam (Tanzania).
- 2 years coursework in Nutrition. Cornell University.
- B.A. in Government. Cornell University.
- NFSC 100: Introduction to Nutrition
- NFSC 315: Nutrition During the Life Cycle
- NFSC 425: International Nutrition-Undergraduate Level
- NFSC 625: International Nutrition-Graduate Level
- NFSC 675: Nutritional Epidemiology
- NFSC 678: Nutritional Anthropology
Research Activities: Related to nutritional anemia, program evaluation, micronutrient malnutrition, chronic disease epidemiology, and nutritional epidemiology. Representative Publications:
- Rockwell LC, Rowe EJ, Arnson K, Jackson F, Froment A, Ndumbe P, Seck B, Jackson RT, Lorenz JG. Worldwide Distribution of Allelic Variation at the Progesterone Receptor Locus and the Incidence of Female Reproductive Cancers. American Journal of Human Biology. 2012 Jan;24(1):42-51.
- Anyanwua UO, Sharkeyb JR, Jackson RT, Sahyoun NR. 2011. Home Food Environment of Older Adults Transitioning From Hospital to Home. Journal of Nutrition in Gerontology and Geriatrics, 30: 2, 105 — 121
- Engel J, Siewerdt F, Jackson RT, Ukabondu U, Wait C, Sahyoun N. 2011. Hardiness, Depression and Emotional Well-Being and Their Association With Appetite In Older Adults. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society (JAGS). Mar;59(3):482-7.
- Seck BC, Jackson RT. 2011. Iron Deficiency is a major risk factor for anemia among Pregnant women in Senegal. African Journal of Health Sciences.
- Jackson RT, Al-Hamad N, Prakash P, Al-Somaie M. 2011. Waist Circumference Percentiles for Kuwaiti Children and Adolescents. Public Health Nutrition. 2011 Jan;14(1):70-6.
- Seck BC and Jackson RT. 2010. Multiple contributors to iron deficiency and anemia in Senegal. International Journal of Food Science and Nutrition. Mar; 61(2):204-16.
- Jackson RT, Al-Hamad N, Prakash P, Al-Somaie M. 2010. Age and Gender-Specific Smoothed Waist Circumference Percentiles for Kuwaiti Adolescents. Medical Principles and Practice. 19(4): 269-274.
- Seck BC, Jackson RT. 2009. Providing iron/folic acid tablets free of charge improves compliance in pregnant women in Senegal. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 103:485-492.
- Pan Y, Jackson RT. 2009. Dietary phylloquinone intakes and metabolic syndrome in U.S. young adults. Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 28: 369-379.
- Seck BC, Jackson RT. 2008. Determinants of Compliance with Iron Supplementation among Pregnant Women in Senegal. Public Health Nutr. Sep 3;:1-10.
- Pan Y, Jackson RT. 2008. Insights into the ethnic differences in serum ferritin between black and white US adult men. Amer Jour Hum Biol, 20:406–416.
- Jackson, RT, Rashed M, Al-Hamad N, Hwalla N, Al-Somaie M. 2007. A Comparison of BMI-for-Age References and Energy Intakes among Adolescents in three Middle Eastern Countries. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal, Mar-Apr;13(2):430-40.
- Pan Y, Jackson RT. 2007. Ethnic difference in the relationship between acute inflammation and serum ferritin. Epidemiology and Infection, Mar 22;:1-11.
- Jackson RT, Pellett PL. 2004. Introductory Observations: The Region, Nutrition, and Health; Ecol Food Nutr. 43:3-16.
- Rashed M, Jackson RT. 2004. Overweight adolescent girls and family history of chronic non-communicable diseases. Ecol Food Nutr. 43:17-27.
- Jackson RT, Nawal Al Hamad, Mona Al-Somaie, Prasanna Prakash. 2004. Gender and Age Differences in Anemia Prevalence during the Life Cycle in Kuwait. Ecol Food and Nutr. 43: 61-75.
- Hwalla N, Jackson RT, Nada N. 2004. Determinants of anemia and iron deficiency in reproductive age women in Lebanon. Ecology of Food and Nutr. 43: 77-92.34.
- Jackson RT, Al-Mousa Z, Al-Raqua M, and Prakash P. 2003. Effect of short-term weekly supplementation on anemia and symptoms in adolescent Kuwaiti girls. Kuw Med J. 35(4): 275-280.
- Jackson, RT. 2003. Some factors influencing variation in nutritional needs and requirements of children. J Children’s Health. 1(2):173-180.
- Al Mousa Z, Prakash P, Jackson RT, Al Raqua M. 2003. A comparison of selected nutrient intakes in anemic and nonanemic adolescent girls in Kuwait Nutr Res. 23(4): 425-433.
- Rashed M, Jackson RT. Age of Menarche as a Predictor of Adult Obesity. 2003. Alexandria J Pediatr. 17(1): 85-88.
- Rashed M, Jackson RT, Younis R, Anwar M, Awad H, Zeedan N. 2003. Food Frequency in Overweight and Obese Adolescent Girls and its Relationship to Socio-Economic Conditions. Egyptian J Nutrition. 18(1): 63-76.
- Jackson RT, Rashed M, Saad-Eldin R. 2003. Rural-urban differences in weight, body image, and dieting behavior among adolescent Egyptian school girls. Intl J Food Sci Nutr. 54(1): 1-11.
- Chung CS, Nagey DA, Veillon C, Patterson KY, Jackson RT, Moser-Veillon PB. 2002. A single 60 mg iron dose decreases zinc absorption during early lactation. J Nutr 132(7):1903-5
- Jackson RT, Rashed M, Saad-Eldin R. (In Press, 2002). Rural-urban differences in weight, body image, and dieting behavior among adolescent Egyptian school girls. Intl J Food Sci Nutr.
- Jackson RT, Al-Mousa Z, Al-Raqua M, Prakash P. 2002. Multiple coronary risk factors in healthy older Kuwaiti males. Eur J Clin Nutr 56:1-6.
- Jackson RT, Al-Mousa Z, Al-Raqua M, Prakash P, Muthanna A. 2001. Prevalence of coronary risk factors in healthy adult Kuwaitis. Intl J Nutr Food Sci 52:301-311.
- Jackson RT, Al-Mousa Z. 2000. Iron deficiency is a more important cause of anemia than hemoglobinopathies in Kuwaiti adolescent girls. J Nutr 130(5):1212-6.
- Jackson RT, Al-Mousa Z, Adekile AD, Mughal HA, Nkansa-Dwamena DK. 1999. The Prevalence and Etiology of Anemia in Kuwaiti Preschoolers and Adolescents, Kuw Med J 31(1):33-39
- Roberts CA, Jackson RT. 1997. Accuracy of self-measurement of waist and hip circumference in a sample of health fair participants and relationship to serum lipids. J Am Diet Assoc 97(5):534- 536.
- Vega F, Jackson RT. 1996. Dietary habits of bodybuilders and other regular exercisers. Nutr Res 16(1):3-10.
- Yu SM, Jackson RT. 1995. Need for Nutrition Advice in Prenatal Care. J Am Diet Assoc 95(9):1027-1029.
- Jackson RT, Dorah JN, Simmons WK, Thomas M. 1995. A comparative study of transferrin receptor, plasma ferritin, and other indices in assessing iron stores in a sample of postpartum women in Jamaica, West Indies. Ecol Food Nutr 34:105-115.
- James DC, Jackson RT, Probart C. 1994. Factors associated with breastfeeding prevalence and duration among international students J Am Diet Assoc 94(2):194-196.
- Jackson RT, Jackson FLC, Yu SM. 1993. The relationship between third trimester maternal weight gain, hematological status, and infant birthweight in Liberian mothers. Ecol Food Nutr 30:309-319.
Service and Consulting:
- Co-Editor, Ecology of Food and Nutrition. 1999 to 2009.
- Consultant to United States Agency for International Development
- Consultant to World Health Organization
- Kuwait – Research on etiology and prevalence of anemia in children and Adolescents; designed and implemented applied nutrition programs; Visiting Professor at Kuwait Univeristy 2010-2011.
- Lebanon - Hosted scholars
- Egypt – Designed a nutrition intervention for 10 million adolescent girls; completed a study on obesity and body image in adolescents girls
- Mexico – Designed a study abroad project to foster interaction between UMCP students and Maya of Yucatan.
- Tanzania – Conducted research among the Masai to examine etiology of lactose malabsortption. Established public health nutrition programs, contributed to development plans
- Center for Teaching Excellence, Lily Fellow, University of Maryland, 2007-2008
- Poffenburger Award for Teaching and Advising, College of Agri. and Nat. Resources, 2006
- UM College of Agri. Alumni Excellence in Teaching Award, 2005
- Senior Research Fulbright Scholar, Kuwait. 1997-98.
- World Women-in-Development Fellow (sponsor USAID), Egypt. 1997.
- Fellow, Human Biology Association. 1994
- American Society for Nutritional Sciences
- Society for International Nutrition Research
- American Society for Clinical Nutrition
- American Dietetic Association
- Fellow, Human Biology Council
- Charter Member, National Center for Minority Health
Professor & Chair