- Multidisciplinary research with efforts directed at understanding virus biology and its role in disease as well as studies aimed at engineering viruses and other biological components for application in nano-based systems and devices.
- Utilize discoveries in virus biology to develop new approaches for their control and application
- Developing methodologies to produce assembled arrays of functionalized viruses for use in sensors, energy harvesting and drug delivery.
- Characterizing specific plant–virus interactions and cell responses that occur within the vascular tissues of infected plants.
- Identification of signaling pathways involved in disease development
- Develop crop plants that are incapable of supporting virus spread and/or disease development