- Understand what controls stream and wetland ecosystem structure and function
- Stream and wetland restoration ecology
- Ecological theory and restoration ecology
- Effect of land use, hydrology, and geomorphology on aquatic ecosystem dynamics
- Evaluating wetland and stream ecosystem functions
- Understanding the relationship between wetland inundation, hydrologic connectivity, and carbon fluxes.
- Quantifying the effects of stream restoration on nitrogen removal in Chesapeake Bay tributaries
- Evaluating hydrologic and stream community responses to novel forms of stream restoration called regenerative storm water conveyance systems